It’s important that any pupil’s voice is captured, no more so than a pupil with SEN. However sometimes communication may prove to be a barrier. Below are some hints as to how you could capture pupil voice, particularly if a pupil is non-verbal or with some cognitive impairment. Also feel free to download the pupil voice toolkit as a starting point for capturing their views/opinions:
- Make notes during observations so that you can build up an idea of their likes and dislikes.
- Talk with staff that work closely with the pupil, possibly a TA
- Create a likes and dislikes box and watch them populate them.
- Try different staff to communicate with pupil so as to ascertain how they are feeling-they may not want to open up to you.
- Have them take part in a role play to act out their inner voice.